Total Loss Process

My Car is Totaled! What Now?

GCI considers a vehicle a "total loss" if:

  • Damage to the vehicle is so severe that it can't be repaired safely;
  • The repairs will be more expensive than the value of the vehicle; or
  • The amount of damage is severe enough that state regulations require the vehicle to be declared a total loss.

Don't Fret All is Not Lost

If your policy covers a total loss, GCI will:

  • Pay the value of the vehicle less any deductible amount.
  • Take ownership of the vehicle. We transfer the title into our name.

Who Receives the Payment for the Total Loss?

Who gets the money? It depends on whether you own, lease or finance the vehicle.

  • If you own the vehicle, we'll pay you directly.
  • If you lease, we'll pay the leasing company directly.
  • If the vehicle is financed (and the finance company is listed on your policy or on your title):
    • We will pay the financing company first:
    • If the settlement amount exceeds what you owe the financing company, you'll receive the balance.
    • If the settlement amount is less than what you owe, you'll be responsible for paying the rest of the loan balance.
    • Your financing company may offer "gap insurance" to cover your unpaid balance in these circumstances. Check with your financing company to see if you have gap insurance, or if it is available to you.

Can I remove my total loss vehicle from my insurance policy?

Yes! But don't do it until:

  • You are no longer using a rental vehicle.
  • Your damaged vehicle is no longer registered in your name.

Call 1-800-982-5783 for more information about removing a total loss vehicle from your insurance policy.

Home Office
706 W. Wade Hampton Blvd
Greer, SC 29651


© Copyright 2018. Greenville Casualty Insurance Company. All Rights Reserved